Click here for the latest Annual Newsletter.
After a group of concerned residents surrounding Lake Weir noticed the disturbing visual changes in water quality and clarity caused by pollution and area development, they decided to take action to save Lake Weir.
In 1985 the Lake Weir Association officially incorporated and the name “Save Lake Weir” was chosen.
The original mission of the newly formed Save Lake Weir association was to initiate a study to determine the best steps to protect Lake Weir. The unparalleled perseverance by the association led to a professional study of the lake, done in partnership with Marion County elected officials and state water management professionals.
Save Lake Weir provides ongoing and current information regarding the health of Lake Weir to the public, including but not limited to:
- Informative studies of phosphorus and nitrogen pollutants for public consideration
- Fish population studies
- Many ongoing water quality studies
Save Lake Weir Association Actively…
- Cooperates with the Aquatic Plant Division of the State to protect native plant and animal life
- Provides training to lake residents on proper maintenance of septic tanks
- Works with local politicians to promote laws that will protect, preserve, and restore Lake Weir
- Issues monthly emails to the members on initiative, education, and water status